Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Chihuly on Paper

Dale Chihuly, world renowned artist, just published a new 3 book collection Chihuly on Paper.  You can see the titles: Graphite, Charcoal, and Acrylic.  I'm so excited to have been invited to the reception honoring the artist and his new books, at the Chihuly Glass Museum next to the Space Needle in Seattle.  Notice the artist's signature painted onto the front of this special collection edition.
Here's an inside page of Charcoal.  Pages and pages of the artist's sketches, including his notes.  This is such a treasured collection of the spark that starts the amazing glass artistry.


I was so honored to meet Dale Chihuly and personally congratulate him on his new books, and thank him for the joy and inspiration he has brought in sharing his talent over the years.





Here's a page from a previous book Chihuly A Decade of Glass.  Published in 1984, you can see the vivid photos of his works.  This one is Macchia, one of my favorites.  Chihuly writes "In the beginning I was using mostly opaque colors with the inside contrasting with the outside.  Some of the combinations I thought would be ugly turned out to be the very best.  Originally thought of only as singles, I now also work them in pairs and groups."
I brought this book with me to the reception and Dale Chihuly generously signed it for me on the Dedication page.  This book was dedicated to "Chihuly's friends, from the cooks to the gaffers, who have helped make this glasswork possible."
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment